I have done this each year for the last four years and never had a problem! This week, I started the experiment like always. (I had left over soap from last year so just decided to keep it and reuse it this year. ) Well as the soap is warming in the microwave, we start to smell a funny smell. I open up the microwave to see the soap has started burning and smokes comes out everywhere! We were so close to setting off the fire alarm! (All the other teachers would of been mad at me! :)) Luckily for us, it wasn't enough smoke it set it off! Just enough to stink up our room for the rest of the day!
After we watched the Steve Spangler youtube video on it, he states that you must use fresh soap. It can not be left in a cabinet...OOPS!! But we had a good laugh and learned about safe practices while doing science experiments! The next day, I brought FRESH Ivory soap and it worked just like normal! The kids really enjoyed it! You can try it at home too! ...just use fresh soap! :)
Here are the before and after pictures!


No comments:
Post a Comment